From worship to workshop, engineering to entertaining
The story behind our amazing restaurant…
Our magnificent listed building dates back to 1836 when it first opened as a Methodist Chapel. It then closed shortly after World War One when the building itself was hidden behind a brand new building, a car garage called “Anchor motor co”. This garage went on to manufacture fuselage and spitfire wings in World War Two.
The building has clearly played an important role over the course of its lifetime with more being discovered about its history all the time. Therefore it was only right that we made the building something special again for Chester.
Following a painstaking restoration to expose the building to its former glory, we invested a further £3m in 2016 to create Opera Grill.
The Grade II listed façade is one of grandeur, with distinct neoclassical Greek architecture including pillars, pediment and a portico, which makes it stand out from the crowd. By using pictures from the buildings archive, we have managed to recreate its original look right down to its steel railings.