With National Vodka Day taking place on October 4th, we’re paying homage to Eastern Europe’s favourite tipple with a range of exciting cocktails at The Restaurant Bar & Grill and Bank Restaurant & Bar.
Group Beverage Manager, Andy Hallam says: “Love it or hate it, you have to respect Vodka for its longevity.
My brand of choice is Grey Goose down to my respect for all things French and admiration for Sidney Frank, (liquor baron extraordinaire) the man who built Grey Goose from nothing, before selling it to Bacardi for 2 BILLION dollars, cash.”
Vodka may be odourless and colourless, but there is a big difference between what makes a good vodka great. Here’s a few of our favourites…
“Our go-to vodka from Finland is owned by Bacardi. Made from barley and renowned for its purity, Finlandia requires no chemical treatment whatsoever, due to its inclusion of glacial spring-water.”
“Each batch of Grey Goose vodka begins with soft winter wheat grown on farms in and around the fertile Picardy region of Northern France.
“Grey Goose Maitre de Chai Francois Thibault insists on using only the highest grade wheat – the same wheat used in the finest French breads and pastries.
“After the wheat grain is fermented and distilled into a high proof spirit, it travels south to Gensac-La-Pallue in the Cognac Arrondissement (Region) of France, where it is blended with the remarkably pristine spring water found there.”
“Belvedere is created from 600 years of Polish vodka-making tradition.
“Created exclusively from Polish Dankowskie Rye and quadruple distilled to create the perfect balance of character and purity; it is completely free of additives, including sugar or glycerine.
“Dilution with purified water from Belvedere’s own artisan wells is essential, enabling the character of the rye to shine. Belvedere has zero additives and is also gluten free.
“On the nose there are feint hints of vanilla, along with some gentle soft cream characteristics. The palate develops into a rounded and medium bodied weight with a rich velvety texture. Some vanilla sways between sweet and savoury with a hint of white pepper and spice. The finish has good length with almond notes, clotted cream and some feint almond and Brazil nut characteristics.”
“The story of the Snow Queen Vodka brand is every bit as enchanting and enduring as its name.
“Originating in Kazakhstan, the vodka is created from a five-times distilled blend of certified organic wheat and pure spring water.
“The state-of-the-art production methods and superior ingredients combine to guarantee consumers enjoy the most premium and refined drinking experience.”
“Flavoured vodka is not a recent invention. Before the continuous still was patented, in the 19th century, Eastern European distillers spiced their pot-distilled vodkas with herbs, seeds, and berries or sweetened them with honey to mask impurities.
“Nowadays, the best flavoured vodkas are produced by infusing fresh ingredients, macerating and redistilling them, adding them as a spirit based tincture, or, in the worst cases, by adding artificial flavour through a cold compounding process.”
Here’s a few of our favourite vodka-based cocktails…
- Cosmopolitan (Ketel One citroen vodka, Cointreau, cranberry juice & fresh lime)
- French Martini (Finlandia vodka, Chambord & pineapple juice, shaken & served in a chilled martini glass)
- Pornstar Martini (Passion fruit, vanilla vodka, lemon & pineapple, shaken & served with a side of Lallier Grand Cru Champagne)
- Chocolate Martini (Vanilla vodka, Fratello hazelnut liqueur and chocolate, served chilled with chocolate filled Cavier)
- Kim Sha (Finlandia vodka, peach puree, raspberries, passion fruit syrup, peach liqueur & pomegranate juice
- Vodka Martini (Mixed with a littler vermouth & a lot of ice, served straight up)
Want to do Vodka Day justice? Why not shake up one of our most popular vodka-based cocktails at home…
Sweet, fizzy and super glamourous, a porn star martini is the perfect cocktail to ass a little sparkle to your weekend. So, gather the girls and get shaking…
What you’ll need…
- 40ml Stolichnaya vanilla vodka
- 40ml pineapple juice
- 20ml passion fruit puree
- 15ml Monin passion fruit
- 10ml lemon juice
- 30ml Prosecco/champagne
Shake it up…
- Carefully measure all of the ingredients into a cocktail glass. Fill with quality cubed ice and seal with a cocktail tin.
- Shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Break the seal and using a Hawthorn strainer, strain the contents into a pre-chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with half a passion fruit and serve with a shot glass of Prosecco (we use Prosecco Lunette).
Happy shaking guys!
Let us know how you get on at @clubindividual